NHNH is continuing our Gardening and Sustainability Series funded by Monash Community Grants Programme for 2023. These gardening lectures will be delivered by Sustainable Gardening Australia. Each program will host a guest speaker providing information, light refreshments and community chat time.
Thursday, 11 May | 6 pm – 7.30 pm | FREE
Kitchen and garden waste are a large portion of what many households throw into the home garbage bins. This workshop will teach you how to take these simple and free raw materials and turn them into beautiful “black gold” to feed the garden and help the environment.
- What is compost and how it is made
- The environmental benefits of composting
- The role of the Carbon: Nitrogen ratio
- The basic compost recipe
- Hot vs. Cold Composting
- Worm Farming
- Backyard Chooks
- Common problems and remedies
- Applying compost for maximum return — compost, worm farms, compost teas and worm teas