NHNH will be hosting yet another Gardening in Notting Hill series in 2022 funded by Monash Community Grants Programme.
This series will offer four different gardening lecture series (1 each term) delivered by Sustainable Gardening Australia. Each program will host a guest speaker providing information, light refreshments and community chat time.
Thursday, 8 Sep | 5 pm – 6.30 pm | FREE SESSION
SESSION 1: HOW SUSTAINABLE IS YOUR GARDEN
An introduction to SGA’s Sustainability Checklist that helps you understand how sustainable your garden is and what you can do to improve it.
SGA has developed a Sustainability Checklist to help home gardeners improve the environmental outcomes of their gardens. This workshop will take you through the checklist, discuss the suggestions in detail and answer your questions on what you can do at home.
What Participants Will Learn
- Identifying factors that impact on the sustainability of your garden
- The benefits of a sustainable garden
- Tips for improving sustainability across a range of areas
- Sustainable garden design
- Soil and garden fertility
- Home waste management
- Water usage
- Biodiversity and habitat
- Pest and disease management
Thursday, 24 Nov | 5 pm – 6.30 pm | FREE SESSION
SESSION 2: PRACTICAL VERTICAL GARDENING
Growing a garden in the vertical dimension can be a practical, productive and beautiful use of space.
Using the vertical space in a garden is a great way to create interest, to make your garden seem bigger or make it more productive. Learn the basics of vertical gardening and how to do it at home.
- Designing vertical gardens
- Smart trellising ideas for veggies
- Fruits, vines and trees
- Using a blank wall or empty fence
- Off the shelf vertical garden systems
- Using recycled materials to make a vertical garden
- Plant choice
- Soil management
- Smart watering ideas